Items you'll need
- • Burlap runner
- • Yarn in your wedding colors
- • Darning or other wide-eyed needle
- • Scissors
- • Optional materials include pencil, paper, and/or printed pattern
1. Design your motif! We free-handed ours, which isn’t too hard…the weave of the burlap is so loose and wide, it’s easy to visually keep track of your stitch count and direction (if you’re into that sort of thing!). Otherwise, draw or print your pattern on standard white paper.
2. To transfer your pattern, simply place the pattern beneath your burlap (it’s easy to see!) and use a pencil to lightly transfer your design. TIP: use pencil so that the marks won’t be obvious once you begin stitching.
3. Start stitching!
4. Because the burlap is comprised of such a loose weave, you’ll want to make sure that you’re doubling back by one square…that is, if your stitch run starts on hypothetical square one and runs diagonally over four squares, start your next run by backtracking one square and pulling through your last run. This will prevent the burlap from distorting.
5. Simply follow your pattern to completion, or even partially free-hand by using your pattern as a visual guide only (without physically transfer). You’ll be finished in no time, and your guests will love the personal touch.